Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mean Kids

A few weeks ago, we had an incident in the park. A child of no more than 5 years of age was playing on the gym equipment as AJ and I were going up and down the slide. This child didn't like AJ and right in front of me- spit on him. Hawked up a loogie and spit it on him. All the while looking right at me. I was floored. My motherliness almost overtook the teacherliness in me. Which in this case was the better choice. The motherliness wanted to spit back at the kid. Who spits at a BABY?

But in my best teacher voice, I said, "That is NOT OKAY. Do not spit at my baby." And I glared at him. He replied, "I can." I calmly said, "No, you can't." Kid: "I'm not made of nice." Me: (hearing that told me a lot about what this kid hears at home) "That's too bad." And the glare went on. He ran away.

Should I have said something different? Maybe. Should I have "Love and Logic"ed him? Perhaps. Maybe I should have gone over to his mother who was sitting on a bench chatting on a cell phone far from her child and had one of those conversations. But I said what I did and then thought about it all night.

AJ had no idea that a kid was mean to him. But someday he will know and someday it will hurt his feelings and he will learn that life lesson and I will not be there to help him. What makes me sad is that I see kids being mean to each other in little ways each day, and I do my best to heal wounds and patch up little fights with other people's children.

I hope I can do that when AJ is old enough and meets is next mean kid in the park.

2 comments:

HoopDee and DJ Vanilla Nice said...

I think you handled this terrifically. The beaeuty of good mothers like yourself is that they can make things better and provide words of wisdom that their children will take with them the rest of their lives. You couldn't have said it better to a kid who doesn't appear to have a mother like you, "That's too bad". And really... not being that kind of nice- is too bad.

Alicia Adams said...

That is a very sad story, and I think you did a fantastic job. I can feel my heart hurting when I think about kids being mean to Asher.