Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ears

I remember having earaches as a child. A stinging, pressurized feeling deep in the ear puncuated with an itch at times. There was usually a headache to go with it and an overall feeling of yuckiness. My poor little AJ has an ear infection. The helpless feeling I have and the sick and pathetic look my little guy has on his red and puffy face make me doubt my role as "Supreme Comforter and Miracle Soother."
On any other day I can rock him to sleep and after 3 magical minutes, he drifts off nicely. Walking around the house carried in a sling can lull him into a pleasant drowsy state. Humming nameless tunes with my cheek pressed to his head can work well, also. Except not today. Or last night. As I sat with a howling little boy in my lap at midnight, 2:00 am, 3:00 am and again at 3:45 am, I wondered why in the world God gave me this precious creature I could neither comfort nor soothe.
Then after a few hours of sleeping peacfully between Mama and Dad in the big bed and waking up to find a smiling toothless grin on a feverish face, I thought, "Yup. God did good."

1 comment:

HoopDee and DJ Vanilla Nice said...

Poor Baby- those cute ears!
God did do a good job.
Thanks for sharing the blogger with me. I love reading it and am throughly enjoying it. I know through your actions and kind spirit that you are a terrific mother and AJ is blessed to have you and Mike.
It was great seeing you last weekend!