Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rewind






So I am farting around with pictures and trying to organize them into some order, when I thought I would write about the day AJ was born.






I felt like an old sock when I left work on Friday, November 30th, 2007. I decided not to return to work the following week. All weekend I had contractions and knew something was afoot. On Monday, December 3rd, 2007, I woke up and had breakfast of Frosted Flakes and OJ. This breakfast is so sugar loaded that AJ ususally did flips and wiggles after a few bites. Usually. But not this morning. I poked him a bit and he gave me a half hearted kick. I worried quite a bit and talked to Erin, my invisifriend from Texas, who advised me to call the OB and go in for a visit. I did that and was in the office being monitored for about 2 hours. At noonish, Dr. Gladdin came in and checked the paper on the machine and said, "Congrats, you are having your baby today! Go to the hospital right now and I will induce you."






It turned out that AJ's heart was having decelerations and Dr. Gladdin wanted him to be born before something serious happened. We went to the hospital and the Dr. broke my water and started pitocin. I thought, "Oh, I have lots of time- Mike can go get food and I can call Mom in a bit." So Mike left and I was alone when contractions the likes of which I hope to never feel again began. I thought I had a high pain tolerance, but it turns out I am really a wimp. I got my husband back, my mom came and the epidural guy arrived and all was right with the world for about an hour.






AJ's heart was still doing funny things when the pit was turned on- so they turned it off. But then nothing happened. So they turned it back on, and his heart went wonky again. And off it went. At 7:00 pm, Dr. Gladdin says enough is enough- we need to do a c-section. AJ was born at 7:52 PM on December 3rd, 2007. He weighed 6 pounds, 12 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long. He had thick black hair and really long fingers.







No comments: