Monday, June 22, 2009

2

AJ has decided that he will act 2 before he is actually 2. Well, he has his moments when he thinks he is 2. Take last night for example. During bathtime, I thought a little fun bubble blowing might be fun. After a while of giggling and fun times I felt lightheaded so I thought that the bubbles should "go to bed" and they would come out again tomorrow. You would have thought I was torturing him with the screaming and the flailing that came next. When AJ wants bubbles, he wants them and that is that.

So after bath, I carry my screaming and hitting wet noodle of a son into his room to wrestle jams on and he sees his Yoda sunglasses. He WANTS THEM ON. NOW. You can see his stylish glasses in use in the previous post here at Is It Naptime Yet. At least he had stopped kicking me, so I figured why not. After bath and jams, AJ knows it is time for bed, so he goes to find his dad to give him a kiss, but he realizes that things look pretty cool through those glasses, so he takes his time finding Daddy. He looks at the table real close. He looks at the chair real close. He looks at the bookshelf...real close. He didn't protest too much when the glasses had to come off.

His shoes are another matter. He loves his big guy sandals. He loves to look at his feet peeking out. He will stop every few steps just to check if his toes are behaving. Come December, AJ will wear those sandals in the dead of winter in 3 feet of snow because they are the only shoes he will allow and that I can manage to get on his feet. I say to myself, "He is small, and you are the parent. Put the shoes on his feet." But I lose the battle every time.

I will remember this when he is 16 and we are waging much bigger battles, when there is much more at stake. Then I will look back at the bubble, Yoda glasses and sandal battles and wish it was that simple again.

No comments: