Thursday, May 8, 2008

18 days

I go back to work on Monday. There about 18 days left of school before summer break and I can be off again. Everyone says it will be good for me. Everyone says I should be excited about doing something "with my mind". I find this statement funny as I think caring for AJ is plenty of work for my mind.
I have mixed feelings about returning. On the postive, I love to teach and I am eager to see my class and see how they have fared without me. I like the end of the year in the fifth grade because there are many fun things to do and projects to work on. I also like preparing them for middle school. I am anxious to see all my co-workers and friends, also.
This paragrpah about the negatives will be much longer. Will AJ wonder where I am and why I left him? Will he take his bottle? Will I be able to provide enough milk while I am working? Will he be mad at me for leaving him? These questions keep me up at night. Then there is the plain fact that I don't want to leave him. I just don't want to go somewhere for 7-8 hours and not take him with me. This has nothing to do with leaving him in the care of others, or whether or not he will eat... I had a baby because I wanted to HAVE A BABY, not leave him and go do something else for the day.
But I must come to grips with going back to work and I better do it quick. And I have to do something about my bad attitude. So until I can work this out for myself, forgive me if I don't want to talk about it, count days left, or discuss how much milk I have pumped. And I am sorry if I sound rude when you ask me, "Isn't it good to be back?" I say, "No." I know it will be good to be back sometime, but not now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz, Mike, and AJ,

We're all sitting here in the living room and realized that someone else in the family is new to motherhood. Congratulations and Happy Mother's Day. The updated pictures of AJ are cute. He's really starting to develop recognizable characteristics of both of you. We hope you had a great Mother's Day. Give him a kiss for all of us.

Clan Albandia