Friday, May 16, 2008

One Week Down

I finished my first week of work. I can't believe how tired I am. Mike can't believe how tired he is, which gives me a small bit of satisfaction, but don't tell him that...I am glad that the boys were able to spend some time together and get to know each other without me hanging around.
One thing that worries me, however, is that other people have a hard time getting AJ to take naps. I did too, at first, but I devised a plan that works for us. When AJ is tired, he doesn't really have a melt down. He just moans a bit, rubs his eyes and keeps playing. So I learned that when he acts tired, I get his special blanket and his pacifier and we have "Cuddles". He snuggles in there and we rock in his chair and he falls asleep in about 5 minutes or so. After he is good and sleeping, he goes in his crib. (I know other Mothers {maybe my sister Sara?} think I am crazy that I rock him to sleep. But I like to do it.)
Sometimes he stays asleep for hours and other days he stays asleep for a few minutes. This week, he had a few days where he did not sleep at all. On Thursday I came home from school at 3:45 trying to decide if I would return the next day or run away. I was missing my little guy a lot. He did not nap and fell asleep at 4:15. So I spent my evening very sad (read crying) because all I wanted was to come home and play with him and he slept instead. Very selfish, I know. But then he woke up at 11:30 and was awake until the wee hours. Then I heard myself wishing he would fall asleep. The bulk of my sleep came about 2 hours before the alarm rang at 5:00. It is 10:25 PM right now and my eyes feel like 2 holes burned in rag (my mom says that). I will head to bed after yet another date with my pump and a breathe right nasal strip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for making it the week! It is not easy and will never be easy to go to work. Like you said, you became a mom because you wanted to be a mom. Every day. All day. It gets easiER, but never easy. Know that I know and I love you. Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hi cousiM! I'm trying to do this on my blackberry so I apologize if it comes up looking weird. Anyhow I'm so glad your first week is over. I know it was a tough one for you. I'm bummed I couldn't see you again when I was back in illinois but I know your week must have been insane and I was pretty busy too. It was great seeing you last saturday regardless. AJ is absolutely adorable and so well-behaved! I want an AJ when my time comes! :) I love you so much. Send my best to Mike and the little guy. Love you! ~peach fuzz (aka jessica)