Sunday, July 3, 2011

Carni Blues

We took AJ to the Hoffman Estates Carnival. He seemed enthusiastic at first.

We saw the Ferris Wheel and discussed how it is circle shape and that he could ride on Mama's lap. AJ is wearing one sock. He sustained a swimming injury and had to have a Mickey Band-Aid on his toe. Now, at this time, we boarded the Ferris Wheel and I became increasingly nervous. The little flappy doors could be opened mid flight and any of us could have tumbled to our deaths. There were no seat belts. I am beginning to understand why my mother only allowed us to see Niagra Falls from the parking lot... I am kidding, Betty. Slightly.

He, I mean we, did okay after the first few revolutions. Then he started crying and shaking violently. I asked him to tell me what was wrong and he couldn't. We discovered that it was "Just too scary" for AJ.
To settle his nerves, Mike bought a Sno Cone. He liked the Sno Cone.

Then he saw it. Across the vast expanse of cables, cords, rigged games where you throw stuff at stuff, bad food carts- there it was. The Big Slide. He was transfixed. He wanted to go up there.

He wanted me to take him.

The toothless lady, who I am sure is very nice- took all of our tickets and AJ led me by the hand all the way up the steps. I carried the burlap bag we were supposed to get in. We got to the landing and I was forced to figure out how to get on the slide while sitting on the bag and then hoist my very re-enthusiastic boy onto my lap without going down The Big Slide accidentally. I did it.

We went so fast I was not having any fun. AJ giggled and yelled happily, while I remained not having any fun. The photo is a lie. I am smiling, but I was lying about it. It is a fake smile.

The Big Slide was not fun and it was just too scary for Mom.

No comments: